Highlights of the Field Band Foundation’s Report to Society (2014) include:
- We operated 48 bands in 24 localities and, through an active recruitment campaign, increased average band membership to 137 members each, significantly up from the previous year’s 125 members per band. This meant that we had more than 6 500 active band members in 2014, our highest reach yet.
- The Foundation undertook an exceptionally successful performance tour to Flanders (Belgium) and Norway.
- The previous year’s introduction of regional competitive festivals has successfully bedded down, with dynamic gatherings held in Kimberley, East London, Rustenburg and Cullinan.
- Soberingly, the Foundation found it necessary to more than double its ‘Children in Distress’ interventions in 2014, and undertook more than 720.
- Five members studied in Norway for a year; two members took part in the US summer tour; and the Field Band Academy graduated 34 members.